Friday, October 15, 2010

Hand Stitching Is Not My Strong Suit

So I'm working on a quilt for one of my daughters and I had originally thought tying the quilt at the corner of every square would be a sufficient way to secure the layers of the quilt together but now I think actual quilting will be necessary. My daughters first quilt was from Pottery Barn Kids and although it was cute it began to self destruct after a short period of time. It too was a tied quilt but the ties pulled through the layers of the quilt with the slightest stress and left huge holes in the fabric! I have spent more on fabric for the new quilt than it would have cost me to buy a finished quilt but I at least know that my quilt is well made and made with love. But to avoid the chagrin of having my ties pull through (even though they are looped in two places instead of one) I am going to hand quilt portions of the quilt for a bit of added stability and strength. Man, this part of the process is taking forever and I am not finding it to be a relaxing task.

I did make vast improvement in my skills after reading a superb segment of Anna Maria Horner's blog. This is so informative. Take a look. And here, too.


Photo from Anna Maria Horner

No comments:

Post a Comment